Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Leek Salad



Yesterday Shal suggested that she and I contribute to this blog together. I accepted the offer without a blink. Nice idea, isn’t it? I immediately remembered the leek that had been staring at me from our fridge for 3 days since my “Return to Bay Area” therapeutic grocery shopping! A leek salad would be a good first blog post, I thought. Here it is...
This is a really quick salad that can put together in less than 10 min., pairs well with Indian home cooked food and serves as a satisfying substitute to traditional “koshimbir”. In fact now that I think about it, it is a better accompaniment dish, than a salad. 

Leeks appear to me like cousins of spring onion, they have a delicate onion-ny flavor, and so if you want a dinner time substitute to onions, leeks are a good option. An important aspect of working with leeks is cleaning them as they grow close to the ground, they will have dirt in the green layers.
Slice the leeks lengthwise down the center and rinse under water to remove all the dirt, especially dirt between the leaves.


Here’s the recipe, adapted from here.


Ingredients:
·         1 Leek (discard the coarse outer leaves and use the tender white and light green parts), sliced thinly, crosswise .


·         1 medium sized Persian cucumber (I like persian cucumbers in this salad because of their delicate flavor), peeled, halved and sliced.


·         1 medium sized heirloom tomato, cut into small cubes.


·         0.5 cup cilantro, cut coarsley


·         1 tbsp roasted groundnut powder (optional)


·         Salt to taste
Dressing:
·         1.5 tbsp lemon juice


·         3 tbsp EVOO


·         Salt, black pepper & sugar to taste 


Mix everything in a bowl and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment