Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hearty Veggie Soup

I like soup for dinner on foggy cold week nights – like this week. And hearty vegetable soups can especially be comforting on busy weeknights.  My mom made all sorts of soups when I was growing up and I have grown to love them.


I liked this soup because it took me only 30 minutes to make it from start to finish, the recipe consisted of cooking veggies by steaming them - a healthier way to eat them, and plus it made an awesome leftover.


Here goes the recipe –


Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots cut into cubes
  • 2 ripe tomatoes cut into cubes
  • 1 onion cut into cubes
  • 1 medium sized potato, peeled, cut into cubes
  • 1 tsp butter
  • Salt, pepper, red chili powder, sugar per taste
  • 1/4th cup 1% fat milk (optional)
  • Cilantro, minced
Direction:


Pressure cook all veggies till tender. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can also cook all the veggies in a pan by adding water till they’re just covered. Puree cooked veggies. Heat butter in a stockpot and add pureed veggies. Add milk, salt, pepper, red chili powder, sugar per taste. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.


A and I like our soup with toasted bread with light ghee spread. I added red chilli powder as a garnish for some extra heat.

I am going to try this recipe with ghee instead of butter. Ghee doesn’t burn as fast as butter as it has a higher smoke point than butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment